Re: [LAU] Editing zynadsuxfx/yoshimi patches?

From: cal <cal@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2011 - 01:23:42 EEST

On 28/04/11 07:08, Julien Claassen wrote:
> [ ... some more thought provoking stuff ... ]

Just a couple of thoughts from the perspective of the "bear of very little brain" behind yoshimi:

- the FUSE idea isn't entirely without merit, but I really don't want to know about it in terms of
implementing anything along those lines within the synth

- OSC is "loose" by definition. However desirable, the notion of "one spec to bind them all"
is doomed to fail. Every second developer will encounter enough exceptions in their particular
app to justify non-compliance.

- one of the many links floating by in previous discussion was <http://idmil.org/projects/mappingtools>.
I haven't looked into those tools closely yet, but just reading the blurb gives a good idea of the problem
space in play here. There will always be a need for mapping the OSC control set of one app or device
to the control set of the app or device being controlled.

- strictly speaking, RDF isn't an XML format. XML is just one of a number of data formats supported by
the RDF libs. Last year I went through the tedious exercise of converting yoshimi to use turtle format
fot it's data storage (via raptor) instead of xml. State of health plus the sheer scope of the testing
exercise led me to put all of that on the "Not now!" shelf. Some of that work looks like being
recyclable when it comes to putting OSC control into yoshimi.

That's all I can think of for now.

cheers, Cal