Re: [LAU] Editing zynadsuxfx/yoshimi patches?

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2011 - 23:03:12 EEST

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 08:23:42AM +1000, cal wrote:
> On 28/04/11 07:08, Julien Claassen wrote:
> >[ ... some more thought provoking stuff ... ]
>
> Just a couple of thoughts from the perspective of the "bear of very little brain" behind yoshimi:
Which is exactly what we need. A mechanism such as that under discussion
will be useless if it isn't practical for developpers.

> - the FUSE idea isn't entirely without merit, but I really don't want to know about it in terms of
> implementing anything along those lines within the synth
I always thought of it as more of a bridging daemon, so not part of any
synth engine. In any case, I think the idea of a "descriptive format"
has now superseeded the FUSE idea as being more feasible and practical.

> - OSC is "loose" by definition. However desirable, the notion of "one spec to bind them all"
> is doomed to fail. Every second developer will encounter enough exceptions in their particular
> app to justify non-compliance.
Could you expand on that? The idea is to be able (as much as possible)
to take whatever OSC structure/lexicon the developper sees fit to create
and build a useable interface out of it. What are the challenges you
think that would pose?

> - one of the many links floating by in previous discussion was <http://idmil.org/projects/mappingtools>.
> I haven't looked into those tools closely yet, but just reading the blurb gives a good idea of the problem
> space in play here. There will always be a need for mapping the OSC control set of one app or device
> to the control set of the app or device being controlled.
But what if the app being controlled defines the controling app?

> - strictly speaking, RDF isn't an XML format. XML is just one of a number of data formats supported by
> the RDF libs. Last year I went through the tedious exercise of converting yoshimi to use turtle format
> fot it's data storage (via raptor) instead of xml. State of health plus the sheer scope of the testing
> exercise led me to put all of that on the "Not now!" shelf. Some of that work looks like being
> recyclable when it comes to putting OSC control into yoshimi.
In terms of implementation, would midi be easier than OSC, or the same?

Cheers,
S.M.