Re: [LAU] Editing zynadsuxfx/yoshimi patches?

From: cal <cal@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 13:04:18 EEST

On 29/04/11 06:14, S. Massy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This discussion is very interesting and new thoughts keep floating up to
> the surface: it's very refreshing.

Indeed, and surprisingly so!

> I too will have a look at RDF and see what I think of it. It seems clear
> to me that a means of describing parameter sets is really the corner
> stone to lay before achieving any of the things discussed so far in this
> thread.

The "means of describing parameter sets" is a consistent question here, but
I'm a little fuzzy on how and where it fits. So far I think my thoughts have
been focused on "What do you need from the synth?", rather than how you'll
implement your controller.

The RDF libs offer a powerful range of possibilities, options and mysteries.
First figure out what you need to achieve, then go looking in there for the
best fit option. When you know what you need, it'll be there.

> I think starting simple might be3 the best way to hopefully achieve
>something useable at some point in the future. :)

Absolutely agree! Starting from a very simple proposition, "How can I get
access to yoshimi's synth parameters?", the discussion has drifted toward
the question "How can I build a universal controller program to drive any
and all synths?". To be honest I think that task lies beyond the current
understanding (and talents?) of the interested parties.

Let's start simple, and along the way maybe we'll all learn something about
what's actually needed, what actually works, and what the available tools
are. An "OSC-to-function generator" sounds to me like a scary beast in the
context of a device with "universal controller" ambitions. You might need
a government license to operate it.

Suppose I managed to cobble together a version of yoshimi that dealt with
a small selection of the parameters via OSC? That'd give us both something
simple to start with, and hopefully we can learn what it takes as we go
along.

cheers, Cal

ps, horribly medicated here, you have been warned :-)