Re: [LAU] Editing zynadsuxfx/yoshimi patches?

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 22:47:50 EEST

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:04:18PM +1000, cal wrote:
> On 29/04/11 06:14, S. Massy wrote:
[...]
> The "means of describing parameter sets" is a consistent question here, but
> I'm a little fuzzy on how and where it fits. So far I think my thoughts have
> been focused on "What do you need from the synth?", rather than how you'll
> implement your controller.
Simply put, some access to the parameters, and some description of those
parameters in terms of name, group, type, and range.

[...]
> >I think starting simple might be3 the best way to hopefully achieve
> >something useable at some point in the future. :)
>
> Absolutely agree! Starting from a very simple proposition, "How can I get
> access to yoshimi's synth parameters?", the discussion has drifted toward
> the question "How can I build a universal controller program to drive any
> and all synths?". To be honest I think that task lies beyond the current
> understanding (and talents?) of the interested parties.
You're quite right there. My initial thought was simply to hack together
something to tweak existing yoshimi patches in non-realtime; I think we
just got very excited when you mentioned the possibility of exposing more
parameters through midi.

I think such mechanisms as were discussed in this thread could be
beneficial, not only for the creation of alternative, accessible
interfaces, but for interface-building in general. This said, a complex
engine such as yoshimi undoubtedly is, probably isn't the best place to
prototype these ideas. As Julien pointed out, a much simpler DSSI synth
probably would be a far more logical starting point.

> Let's start simple, and along the way maybe we'll all learn something about
> what's actually needed, what actually works, and what the available tools
> are. An "OSC-to-function generator" sounds to me like a scary beast in the
> context of a device with "universal controller" ambitions. You might need
> a government license to operate it.
*chuckle*

> Suppose I managed to cobble together a version of yoshimi that dealt with
> a small selection of the parameters via OSC? That'd give us both something
> simple to start with, and hopefully we can learn what it takes as we go
> along.
I think it's best to go with the flow here and focus on what *you* as
the developer are working on. So, for instance, you talked about exposing
parameters to midi controlers. Perhaps there could be a structured text
file where one could assign mappings by hand, so that one without access
to the GUI could still benefit from this. Perhaps a simple OSC interface
allowing to load patches and midi mapping files, as well as save
modified patch files could be created. That would already be a giant
leap forward for us in terms of useability.

Cheers,
S.M.