Re: [LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 01 2011 - 09:46:49 EEST

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Well this one looks interesting but it's ucking expensive. Also, from the blurb
> on their site is seems it is limited to 24bit 48k on Linux

It is expensive, but Sound Devices are not known for cheap quality
either, they are well known in field recording for having good
equipment. Not Nagra good, but still pretty decent none the less.

> "As a class-compliant audio device, the USBPre 2 is limited to a maximum data
> rate of 24-bit, 48 kHz in Windows, Linux, and Mac OS versions 10.4 to 10.5.7.
> Mac OS 10.5.8 and higher support the audio class 2.0 device and can address the
> USBPre 2 up to 24-bit, 192 kHz.
>
> To enable higher sampling rates in Windows OS, download the available Windows
> ASIO driver."

I read that to mean that USB1 class compliance is limited to 24/48,
but if USB2 Audio Class is supported, which I believe it is on Linux
now IIRC, that it should work to 24/192. I could be wrong though,
thus why I mentioned writing them.

> For me, it's also significant overkill and I have an very nice little analogue
> mixer so all I really want is straight I/O - but nobody seems to do that :(

Hmm I seem to recall the mixpre-d does that, but I also believe it is
even more expensive(Its newer:)

     Seablade