Re: [LAU] Music made with Linux: "move along"

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 01 2011 - 06:06:31 EEST

On 30/04/11 22:23, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Leigh Dyer wrote:
>> Hi all,

> Hi Leigh,
>
> I liked it a lot. I agree with the other posters re: the placement of
> the vocal, it's pretty well buried in the mix. If you're comfortable
> using Autotune then you should be comfortable putting your voice out
> front further. Btw, I didn't notice the tuning fixes either, and I
> despise Autotune (aesthetically, that is - I'd use it if I thought I
> could make a million dollars with it).

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the vocals -- I should have
the confidence to put them further in front. When I listen to the vocals
I can't help but hear all the little problems, but everyone keeps
telling me that the vocal sounds fine, so I should probably start
listening :)

This piece started out on piano, and everything else (including the
lyrics/vocals) came afterward, and from the feedback here it seems like
I've mixed it as a piano track with a few extra bits to support it, when
really I should have the vocals up front and mix everything else to
support them.

Confidence, again, is a factor there I think -- I'm happiest with the
piano part, so I've let it take the focus. I need to learn not to just
turn a part down when I'm not totally happy with it :)

> The tune itself is really good. I like the piano part, and I also liked
> the distance on the drums, it made the piano and vocals sound like they
> were being sung in the lounge with the drums in the kitchen. That's not
> a left-handed compliment, I thought the effect was neat, whether
> intended or not. Also, good playing throughout, you handled the
> instrumental parts nicely.

Totally unintentional on the drums :) I didn't want them to distract
from the relatively mellow feel of the rest of the track, but I think I
will bring them up a bit if/when I work on the mix again.

Thanks for listening, and thanks to everyone for your feedback -- it's
all been very helpful.

Thanks
Leigh