Re: [LAU] Pipe not working - or is it lame or oggdec

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 06 2011 - 13:27:05 EEST

Simon Wise wrote:
> On 05/05/11 00:28, Daniel Worth wrote:
>> I think as long as people are aware at what point they need to license
>> the
>> patent then they should be fine. If you are making $100,000+ a year
>> from my
>> music a $2,000 per year fee isn't the end of the world. Likely if you are
>> generating that kind of income you can partner with a distributor who
>> pays
>> this fee for you and so it isn't actually and issue either way.
>
> Consider a fictional band working here in Australia, trying to get to
> the point they may be able to actually pay themselves more than a bit of
> beer money, or perhaps even interest the distributor mentioned above. 5
> musicians, doing some live gigs, sometimes touring interstate, paying
> for someone to mix and the travel costs from the fees they are paid
> before they get to pay themselves. They rent a place to rehearse,
> covering some of that rent by sharing it with other bands who pay them
> when the need it. They have some merchandise and cds they are selling at
> gigs etc, and are using that revenue to pay for studio time and someone
> to record them. To make some live opportunities for themselves they
> organise some events where they hire the venue and pay the technical
> costs, as well as organising several other bands to play, they pay these
> costs out of the door takings, and pay themselves and the other bands a
> split of what is left.
>
> The band will quite easily be over the $100,000 revenue while they are
> just earning pocket money as actual income for themselves. That $2000
> would be much more usefully spent paying an engineer to help get a
> recording done than paying for the right to have mp3s on their laptop to
> play (or send) to someone who may be interested in their work.
>
> Mostly such a group chooses the 'pirate' path, but perhaps it's more in
> their interests to use a format that isn't considered illegal here
> without the $2000 payment to an organisation who are paying their
> employees and shareholders much more than pocket money.

Way back when I was in high school, there was a 7-man local band in my
home town that was regularly taking in about US$100000 per year playing
clubs, appearing as opening acts for touring name bands, doing small
local tours, etc. This was in the pre-digital days, so they had no CDs
or downloads or even tapes for sale. Their live show was an entertaining
blast, so wherever they played, they got a good crowd.

$100000 divided by 7 = about $14,286 per year per person. I don't know
what their net (if any) was, but that wasn't much to live on even back
in the early 70s.

There's a good Celtic band here in Hawaii, Celtic Wave. They play 3-5
nights a week in local clubs, have a CD for sale, etc. To stay alive,
they all do other things, too - teach music, work other jobs, etc. I
have no idea how much they make. But present-day Hawaii is a LOT more
expensive place to live than early 1970's northern California!

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden