Re: [LAU] BCF2000 & PulseAudio

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 17 2011 - 09:14:29 EEST

On 16 May 2011 at 8:11, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Ardour uses Jack, so your problem is probably related to Jack's MIDI
> > configuration.
>
> Close. Ardour3 will use JackMIDI for this, when I can update the code
> to fix some bugs. Ardour2 however uses ALSA, not JackMIDI.
>
> If you are trying to get the BCF working with the Logic control
> protocol in Ardour, see here...
>
> http://ardour.org/files/reference/dsy244-ARDOUR.html#dsy244-ARDOUR

My BCF2000 is getting detected by ALSA:

[kevinc@email-addr-hidden-kevinc #34] more /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfbff8000 irq 30
 1 [M1010 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010
                      M Audio Delta 1010 at 0xec00, irq 16
 2 [M1010_1 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010
                      M Audio Delta 1010 at 0xe400, irq 17
 3 [BCF2000 ]: USB-Audio - BCF2000
                      BEHRINGER BCF2000 at usb-0000:00:1d.2-1, full speed

That makes my unit /dev/snd/midiC3D0 at this time.

I changed my /etc/ardour2/ardour_system.rc and ~/.ardour2/ardour.rc
files to specify:

<MIDI-port tag="mcu" device="/dev/snd/midiC3D0" type="alsa/raw" mode="duplex"/>

and in the <Config> block

<Option name="mackie-emulation" value="bcf"/>

When I start ardour2 now I get this on STDOUT:

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
         This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs
         out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l', and it
         is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

Ardour 2.8.11
   (built using 7387 and GCC version 4.4.3)
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine
ardour: [INFO]: Ardour will be limited to 1024 open files
ardour: [ERROR]: MIDI: port device in use
ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: looking for control protocols in /home/kevinc/.ardour2/surfaces/:/usr/lib/ardour2/surfaces/
powermate: Opening of powermate failed - No such file or directory
ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol powermate not usable
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Generic MIDI"
ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol Tranzport not usable
ardour: [INFO]: Mackie: No MIDI port called mcu
ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol Mackie not usable
Cannot lock down memory area (Cannot allocate memory)

The BCF2000 doesn't work. But, I don't expect that it would given
the above INFO regarding that unit.

Before looking at the website instructions I did not have that option
defined, and this was my "mcu" tag line:

<MIDI-port tag="mcu" device="ardour" mode="duplex" type="alsa/sequencer"/>

With that setting for the "mcu" tag line I get this on STDOUT when
starting ardour2:

[...]

ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Mackie"
Cannot lock down memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
Cannot lock down memory area (Cannot allocate memory)

In that case nothing seems to fail in the INFO for the control
surface. But, the control surface still doesn't work.

I tried a few different combinations of settings in ardour2 through
Options -> Control Surfaces, including Generic MIDI, Mackie, and
Feedback. No setting there changes things for me.

I did manage to get ardour to lock up by unchecking the Mackie
option then rechecking it. Control-C was required to abort
ardour. Trying to restart ardour resulting in hanging; I forget
if that was before or after selecting my project. I fixed the
hanging on start-up issue by removing my ~/.ardour2/instant.xml
file.

I went back to my email stash and found 50 some emails on my
BCF2000 from 2007. All of what's in this email, and more, is in
that email. I've got quite a bit of homework to do. I'll report
back. But, if you think of something, please do let me know.

Thanks!

--
Kevin