[LAU] BCF2000 & PulseAudio

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 16 2011 - 06:49:04 EEST

I'm trying to get my BCF2000 control surface working with Ardour
again. It worked fine before I upgraded to Mandriva 2010.1 (which
subsequently upgraded itself to Mandriva 2010.2). I suspect that
PulseAudio is involved, based on my /var/log/messages output, below

kernel: usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
kernel: usb 5-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1397, idProduct=00bc
kernel: usb 5-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
kernel: usb 5-1: Product: BCF2000
kernel: usb 5-1: Manufacturer: BEHRINGER
pulseaudio[6456]: module-alsa-card.c: Failed to find a working profile.
pulseaudio[6456]: module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card" \
    (argument: "device_id="3" name="usb-BEHRINGER_BCF2000-00-BCF2000" \
    card_name="alsa_card.usb-BEHRINGER_BCF2000-00-BCF2000" tsched=yes \
    ignore_dB=no card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): \
    initialization failed.

Other than my control surface, Ardour 2.8.11 (compiled locally)
works just fine.

I searched the web for things like the above message. I found
one bug for the "failed to find a working profile" in the
PulseAudio website. That's related to a ThinkPad. I looked
around the PulseAudio website for how to create a profile, and
didn't find anything directly useful. Most of what I found was
about 2 years old and recommended ways to remove PulseAudio from
one's system.

I did find out how to create one PulseAudio profile at this URL:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=75147.0

PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva, so I'm hopeful that this sort of
recipe might work for the BCF2000. But, it looks like the heart
of getting PulseAudio to work with JACK were the

   "load-module module -jack-*"

lines in the .pa file. I don't know what to use for my control
surface. I suspect, without evidence, that if I could create the
correct .pa file with the correct module loading command(s), then
this thing might work. But, I don't know what module(s) to try,
nor even the right name for the .pa file.

Anyone know how to configure a BCF2000 control surface to work
with PulseAudio?

Any suggestions?

Thanks....

--