Re: [LAU] Off topic: building drum triggers for acoustic drums !

From: andy baxter <andy@email-addr-hidden-online.co.uk>
Date: Tue May 17 2011 - 16:18:40 EEST

On 17/05/11 09:41, Svend-Erik K Madsen wrote:
> Hi list
>
> Anyone who has build drum triggers themselves ?
>
> I just ordered some piezo transducers to build my own triggers, but
> your experiences is most welcome regarding material used to
> encapsulate transducers, rubber, foam rubber, how thick the size, and
> so on.
>
> I planned to build it up on some angel bracket inside the drum shell
> and mount it on a lug screw so that the trigger will be placed
> underneath the drumhead near the rim, don't know if thats good or bad,
> and if a rim shoot would trigger too, of cause I don't want that to
> happen on my snare, for which I plan to build a separate rim shoot
> trigger too.
>
> Hope someone will share their experiences :)

Cedric Roux has already pasted the link, but I've done some stuff like
this - I built a midi drum trigger that is capable of telling where
you've hit it as well as how hard, so you can morph the sound between
different spots on the pad. This uses 4 piezo sensors on an aluminium
sheet. All the details of how I built it and the software to drive it
are here:

http://highfellow.org/synpad/ (N.B. that this is my new domain -
ganglion.me still points there but won't do forever)

If you have any questions, just ask.

andy baxter