Re: [LAU] [ot] connecting breakout box and headphones

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 24 2011 - 15:09:11 EEST

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 6:56 AM, James Morris <jwm.art.net@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Ooops. Massively too big for the job with a tip the relative size and
> shape of an aircraft carrier in comparison to a mini xlr terminal.
>
> So, I see that different soldering irons need different tips, but, is
> that just what they like to tell us, or can I use that tip for this?
> It's quite a hefty hole for the tip, but I want quite a fine end. The
> mini xlr I've practiced on is not the shape it should be any more.
> I've got one more, and will have clamps and things set up better for
> the next run.
>
> James.

James-

  My guess is that the TA3 connectors are what you are referring to
when you say 'mini-xlr'? I do a LOT of work on TA4s and the like for
wireless bodypacks and mics, and to be honest I tend to carry one of
the small battery powered soldering irons in my toolbox these days to
work on those. These irons get just hot enough for that size of work,
heat up decently quick(Which is good since you are generally stuck
there holding the button till they do) and have a small enough tip to
work on these. Not to mention the irons themselves are cheap enough
to be considered disposable as needed.

  All that being said, I generally order tips for the soldering iron
matching manufacturer is all. I treat the battery powered irons as
disposable(Because by the time the tip is gone for me the iron itself
isn't in great shape due to cheap plastic) but I have my temperature
controlled iron that I order tips for for when I am doing a stretch of
work.

      Seablade