Re: [LAU] Switching the distro

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 29 2011 - 19:53:26 EEST

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 13:06 -0300, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>> >
>> > Arch Linux might be interesting, I need to read more or just will test
>> > it. Gentoo, hm? OOTB (is there an 'OOTB'?) without ALSA?
>> >
>> >        "nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx removed from [extra]
>>
>> What nvidia card do you have?
>>
>> Maybe extra/nvidia 270.41.19-1 (the updated one), nouveau or even
>> nouveau-git would be better for your video card.
>> If you really need a legacy nvidia driver, then you might have
>> problems with recent xorg versions. You can manually choose to use an
>> older version of xorg if you really need.
>
> 7200 GS as replacement for the integrated ATI Radeon X1250-based.

<SNIP>

The 7200GS is supported by the Certified 270-41.19 driver

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-270.41.19-driver.html

I've been through the other side of this problem when purchasing very
new cards that aren't supported either. In response I've learned to
poke around the NVidia website to determine what alpha/beta driver I
needed to run to get it to work. Here's where I went to find the
driver that current supports the chipset you mentioned:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Cheers,
Mark