Re: [LAU] Switching the distro

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun May 29 2011 - 20:35:25 EEST

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 09:53 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> >> What nvidia card do you have?
> >>
> >> Maybe extra/nvidia 270.41.19-1 (the updated one), nouveau or even
> >> nouveau-git would be better for your video card.
> >> If you really need a legacy nvidia driver, then you might have
> >> problems with recent xorg versions. You can manually choose to use an
> >> older version of xorg if you really need.
> >
> > 7200 GS as replacement for the integrated ATI Radeon X1250-based.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> The 7200GS is supported by the Certified 270-41.19 driver
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-270.41.19-driver.html
>
> I've been through the other side of this problem when purchasing very
> new cards that aren't supported either. In response I've learned to
> poke around the NVidia website to determine what alpha/beta driver I
> needed to run to get it to work. Here's where I went to find the
> driver that current supports the chipset you mentioned:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Yes, it's a very old second-hand card. I don't need current high-speed
cards and all kinds of digital connectors, I just need simple 3D
capability from time to time, it's much more important that the graphics
is passive, than super fast and with two fans ;). Music has got the
highest priority here, it's nice if I could use the same computer for
animation and video, if I like to do that, no FPS, home entertainment,
overclocking etc.. A video composite output might be nice too. Even my
AGP NVIDA from the stone age would be good enough, if it wouldn't come
with a fan and if my current board would have an AGP slot. When I bought
my mobo I thought that I need HDMI etc., but I was mistaken.

-- Ralf