Re: [LAU] Switching the distro

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon May 30 2011 - 13:06:35 EEST

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 09:39 +0200, R.Wolff wrote:
> Since AV Linux is Debian Squeeze, you can of course use their repos.
> Like I said, AVL comes with full build env. to build all you need on your own.
> However, the packages delivered by AVL are quite up to date, stable, and all
> apps I've tried (some only shortly) worked. A few days ago I tried Tango Studio
> (based on Ubuntu 10.10) and almost nothing worked ootb. So I quickly skipped it.

Edubuntu 10.10 32-bit + Ubuntu Studio meta packages and a lot of self
build stuff + PA tweaks is my first perfectly working Linux audio/MIDI
DAW. Even the very good 64 Studio releases did cause jitter for hw MIDI,
because there wasn't the current JACK2 svn already available ;). The
only, but serious issue is, that the mouse wheel isn't working.

Ubuntu Studio 11.04 + Edubuntu meta packages is a PITA. Completely
unusable, even writing emails is a PITA, I didn't set up audio, but
decided to switch the distro.

> NVidia & ATI drivers are installed through the means of a helper script.
> Eve though it's 32-bit, there's a PAE rt-kernel available if you have 4 GB of
> RAM or more.

I'll build customized kernels myself. Well, my Ubuntu 10.10 is a 32-bit
install, but since Ubuntu 32-bit has got no advantage, e.g. installing
proprietary 32-bit apps, that run on Suse 11.2 !!!64-bit, don't run on
Ubuntu, neither 32-bit or 64-bit, I prefer the advantages of 64-bit
installs. I don't need VST, but lightscribe and will keep Suse 11.2 to
use those apps. Debian should be 64-bit, not 32-bit on my machine.

> The developer is very responsive and the forum quickly helps you out in case of
> trouble.
>
> I see no real advantage for my machine (AMD Athlon 7750BE, ASRock AOD790GX/128M,
> 4 GB RAM OCZ, Radeon HD4650, Delta 1010LT, BCR2000 etc...) in using a 64-bit
> audio distro,
> as long as there's a PAE kernel available.
>
> I don't use evolution, so can't comment. For me an audio distro doesn't need all
> those office,
> email or whatever stuff. Just a browser (FF for me), and pidgin.
>
> I've long observed your discussions about MIDI jitter on the 64-Studio list.
> Still, I can't comment
> because I never perceived such issues. At least not since my last PC build.
>
> You shouldn't need any additional repos imho, since the AVL repo is well filled
> with audio software.
> And then there's always Debian Multimedia. Always depending on what you plan to
> do of course.

AV Linux is a very good distro, but I wish to have 64-bit. I guess the
only 32-bit app I really need for music will be an app to set up a KORG
NANOKONTROL, but this should work with wine on a 64-bit install too, I
guess ;).

-- Ralf