Re: [LAU] PITA: RME HDSPe AIO

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 06 2011 - 15:55:19 EEST

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> just as a small reminder before we all go misty-eyed over the horrible
> state of linux audio: in the universe i live in, there's this basic
> assumption that hardware vendors should care for proper driver and
> userspace support, because they want to sell their gear.
>
> if they don't, that's their problem, take your money elsewhere. this
> whole situation where people hack up drivers in their free time to
> open markets to ignorant vendors is totally ass backwards. it's what
> we've gotten used to, and i'm happy to have open-source drivers for
> the pro gear i have to use, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking
> that it's all fine and dandy this way.

I agree in principle, but part of the reason the Linux community has
been so accepting of this is because of the history of *awful* device
drivers vendors have written on the occasions when they have decided to
provide their own. Intel seems to have the hang of it now with some of
their stuff, but for the most part, Linux users have gotten to where
nothing scares them more than driver code that was written by a hardware
vendor.

> the problem is that everyone i talked to told me fltk is on its way
> out, fast, and i don't really feel motivated to redo everything in gtk
> when i only have two rme cards and can do everything i need with
> alsamixer, if less conveniently.

I never got this obsession with everything having to use one toolkit
that everybody has. I always thought one of the strengths of X11 was
that you can use whatever toolkits and window managers you want. If
you've got a working app that's built on FLTK, for gosh sake, be happy!

--
+ Brent A. Busby	 +
+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +	Vote for Cthulhu.