Re: [LAU] Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!

From: Aaron Krister Johnson <aaron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 12 2011 - 19:45:26 EEST

Hi, I realized that this would be pertinent info this morning, thanks for
reminding me...

I'm on Arch Linux, and I used both kernels 2.6.33-rt and the standard
2.6.32-LTS (long-term support) with the same results....

It's Jack 0.118.0-2 and also 0.120.2-1 that were problematic for me. They
also caused weird behavior with fluidsynth-1.1.3--with my M-Audio KeyRig 49
USB keyboard, there were HUGE (.5 seconds!!!) midi delays.

I installed jack2-svn today and the fluidsynth issue is now gone. And,
although the PianoTeq xruns are much better, they are still slightly more
apparent than with Alsa alone.

I don't know what happened, but, being pragmatic, one has to just find
versions that work....yikes!

AKJ

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 4:36 AM, rosea.grammostola <
rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

Which Jack version? Which kernel? Which OS?
> Using Pianoteq myself, runs like a charm, with JACK, but it asks for pretty
> some CPU...
> \r

> On 06/12/2011 09:40 AM, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:
>
>> Hi all--
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this:
>>
>> I'm considering purchasing PianoTeq, but I wanted to try the demo. It
>> seems to work better with just the alsa driver than it does with jack, a
>> reversal of the usual situation.
>>
>> I tested this several times by playing fast glissandi on the default
>> piano preset. Each time, my little EEE-PC netbook under jack choked with
>> xruns and a brief silence while PianoTeq 'reset' itself, but Alsa alone
>> chugged away with no xruns unless there was an extreme amount of load....
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone can comment on this. It seems odd, especially
>> since the jack developers claim jack adds no latency by itself to the
>> picture in any situation---so, do we have a situation where the code is
>> better written for the alsa driver than for jackd? It seems we do, in
>> this case....

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.akjmusic.com
http://www.untwelve.org