Re: [LAU] A3 video prev: syncing partially out of sync video and audio in existing files

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 00:06:16 EEST

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 8:49 AM, pshirkey wrote:

> I can't see any other reasons for the major distros not to have a fully
> working and well integrated multimedia productions suite by now.

There's every single reason why it doesn't happen. But the ones that
define status quo the most are:

1. Fragmentation of efforts
2. Lack of technically competent developers
3. Lack of collaboration between projects
4. Immature frameworks
5. Lack of sustainable business models behind development

I could write long explanation to each and every one of these points,
but maybe not at 1:04am. Especially since they don't need explanations
to anyone who's been around in free software world for long enough.

> After all the tools are being used in one way or another by all the
> major motion picture houses these days and a lot of the development
> is being driven by industry requirements.

Really? Yes, some of the largest studios such as Disney and Universal
actually use Linux (Red Hat) for animation, texturing and VFX. But
they don't use any of NLE for Linux. And do you now why?

1. They have workflows built around proprietary tools. Some studios
keep using goddamn unsupported Apple Shake for VFX simply because of
workflows.

2. The free NLEs are simply not stable enough for production.

3. Only two NLEs for Linux support higher than 8bit per color channel
pipelines. Of them Cinelerra is buggy as hell, and Blender has a very
naive color management. Would you really produce DPX out of clipped
data? Or lose time because of bugs? Really?

> IMO, there is definitely something fishy going on.

Yes, it's called "not being good enough".

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org