Re: [LAU] Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!

From: Aaron Krister Johnson <aaron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 10:11:03 EEST

Hey all,

So the continuing saga is this: still no luck getting Pianoteq with JACK to
equal or spank with superiority the performance of PianoTeq w/ALSA alone on
my system.....

I found the following information: the info from the /proc/asound output
that Paul asked me to check out confirmed that at comparable settings, JACK
choked where ALSA smoked. I had ALSA down to a period of 64 and 3
periods/buffer (hardware bufsize of 192) at a sample rate of 48000. The same
setting of jackd ('jackd -dalsa -dhw:0,0 -r48000 -p64 -n3 -S') didn't agree
with Pianoteq....

So...here's my dilemma. I have a live show coming up where I'd prefer to use
the superior harpsichord sound of Pianoteq, but I don't want to risk a
lock-up or xruns or worse in a live concert. So I would have to use
ALSA...BUT....I also need to switch to playing a live kalimba through some
Csound effects right after playing a harpsichord, and Pianoteq under ALSA
will not stand for another app opening and sharing the soundcard like JACK
will allow (ALSA will block I/O).

So what can I do?

Best,
AKJ