Re: [LAU] Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!

From: Gerhard Zintel <gerhard.zintel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 14:12:05 EEST

On Tuesday 14 June 2011, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:
> So...here's my dilemma. I have a live show coming up where I'd prefer to
> use the superior harpsichord sound of Pianoteq, but I don't want to risk a
> lock-up or xruns or worse in a live concert. So I would have to use
> ALSA...BUT....I also need to switch to playing a live kalimba through some
> Csound effects right after playing a harpsichord, and Pianoteq under ALSA
> will not stand for another app opening and sharing the soundcard like JACK
> will allow (ALSA will block I/O).
>
> So what can I do?
>
> Best,
> AKJ

Hi Aaron,

I have reduced the "internal sample rate" inside PianoTeq's Options->Perf
dialog and it helped a lot according performance. I can choose e.g. 29400 Hz
or 22050 Hz there and I can not really hear the difference in sound quality
(maybe my old ears?!).

By that I can play PianoTeq and B4 Organ at the same time with no problems on
my LG X120 (Atom CPU N270 @ 1.6 GHz) through Jack. (To be honest, I'm
using -p128 as buffer size)

Gerhard