Re: [LAU] RME analog out of phase to ADAT connected Behringer analog out

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 15:31:16 EEST

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 07:22 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> no, you did make a mistake. your test (to the extent that i understand
> it) didn't sync anything. you used two different D/A converters
> without a common word clock. even with the same word clock, they would
> not necessarily be synced because they may buffer different number of
> samples internally in front of the actual D/A circuitry. but this is
> sort of irrelevant because you didn't actually sync anything together
> at all as far as i could tell.

I only used ADAT to sync. I guess when doing this I don't need to use
wordclock by BNC.

RME card ADAT master --> Behringer ADAT device slave

Then I listened to the Behringer analog outs and the RME's analog outs.

I set up the Behringer by a switch and the RME card by alsamixer. Any
alsamixer setting caused the same result. I didn't set the Behringer to
anything other than ADAT slave.

> first of all, CD players don't do direct digital audio playback. the
> audio you get telling the disc to play an audio CD is different than
> you get when reading it as a digital storage medium. secondly, you
> appear to have made the cardinal error of trying to do psycho-acoustic
> testing without using even blind, let alone double blind testing. this
> means that your assessment is meaniningless. if you don't believe me,
> try watching (at least the first 2 speakers) of this:

Full ACK, this test is just to hear if there are really audible
differences I should be aware. Differences that are that audible, that
no blind test is needed.
There were not such differences, excepted for Totem and this RME to
Behringer phasing issue.
Without a blind test nobody should doubt that there is a difference
between the audio quality of a telephone handset and a good studio
monitor ;).

> please note that i did not that say that your assessment is *wrong*.
> but the way you did it is. your conclusion about sound quality might
> be right, but its equally likely to be wrong.

Again full ACK!

Regards,

Ralf