Re: [LAU] Where do the 60 degrees for stereo come from?

From: Charles Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2011 - 00:41:46 EEST

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> For a real single sound source the direction of the
> vector V(t) is that towards the source, and P(t) and
> V(t) in any given point are closely related. They are
> of course measured in different units (Pascal, and
> meters/second resp.), one is a scalar and the other
> a vector, but they are proportional.

This doesn't matter to the rest of your analysis/description, but I'd offer
a correction to this paragraph.

V(x,t) is proportional to the spatial gradient of P(x,t).

Note that this means pressure and velocity waves are 90 degrees out of sync
with each other.
One clear case this matters is the boundary conditions at walls. The volume
velocity goes to 0 at the wall (Dirichlet), but the pressure has the
requirement that its 1st derivative is 0 (Neumann).