Re: [LAU] Text-based sound visualisation?

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 22 2011 - 00:48:13 EEST

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:50:11PM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Massy!
> The thing you need is FFT. I thought about it,maybe csound can
> offer a solution. I definitely has FFT-based opcodes and it has
> measuring capabilities. I'm quite sure about that. The question is,
> if you can really split the signal that way. Another - perhaps not
That, and how would csound report in real-time? I know it has some fltk
extensions to do something like that graphically, but I'm not sure
whether it offers anything beyond a simple print-like function for the
console.

> so fine - alternative might be to use bandpass filters with steep
> slopes. Ecasound could do that. I think one could create a simple
> bash script for that.
I thought of that: one could split up the frequency range using a bunch
of chains with bandpass filters, but here again, how to measure and
report in a timely, readable matter?

I'd rather go the simplest route possible, since I don't need anything
too fine-grained.

Cheers,
S.M.