Re: [LAU] Text-based sound visualisation?

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 22 2011 - 21:23:24 EEST

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:49:58PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 06:37:31PM -0400, S. Massy wrote:
>
> > Can you think of a way to produce a more useful information output using
> > the relatively coarse-grainedness of a 80x25/50 terminal? I've never
> > seen/used an actual scope, so I'm not sure how it could be textualised
> > and yet retain its usefulness.
>
> The first question should be: what is the purpose of
> the spectral display ? In what way is it relevant ?
> How do you, or would you like to, act on what it
> shows you ?
>
> If you can answer that question, then the next step
> could be to determine what should be shown and how.
Well, my initial thought was that it could be useful in more quickly
detecting over or undercrowded frequencies instead of "feeling 'round"
for them, and perhaps in finding the best frequency band to set things like
gate triggers.

As I said, I've really little idea of how useful (or useless) a spectrum
analyser really is with regards to mixing. Am I correct in understanding
you to mean that it is of relatively little value, and that careful
ear-training and experience serve one better in the end?

> If you are really limited to a text display, then
> something providing simple but useful information
> would be a better idea to spend some time on, e.g.
> a text output mode for jkmeter or ebumeter (both
> would be fairly easy).

Jkmeter looks interesting. I rooted around in the source some, but I
have not yet found where the interface hooks are. It looks like it could
be a fun project.

Cheers,
S.M.