Re: [LAU] Text-based sound visualisation?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 22 2011 - 01:49:58 EEST

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 06:37:31PM -0400, S. Massy wrote:

> Can you think of a way to produce a more useful information output using
> the relatively coarse-grainedness of a 80x25/50 terminal? I've never
> seen/used an actual scope, so I'm not sure how it could be textualised
> and yet retain its usefulness.

The first question should be: what is the purpose of
the spectral display ? In what way is it relevant ?
How do you, or would you like to, act on what it
shows you ?

If you can answer that question, then the next step
could be to determine what should be shown and how.

If you are really limited to a text display, then
something providing simple but useful information
would be a better idea to spend some time on, e.g.
a text output mode for jkmeter or ebumeter (both
would be fairly easy).

Ciao,

--
FA