Re: [LAU] Question about rt kernel in Ubuntu

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 24 2011 - 03:46:11 EEST

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 09:31:50PM +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 06/23/2011 09:27 PM, torbenh wrote:
>> you mean merging -rt into 2.6.38 or something ?
>> thats not a task normal people should be dealing with.
>> and it certeinly isnt a job for non-fulltime kernel hackers.
>
> Hello Torben,
>
> No not merging but applying all the Ubuntu specific patches:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/UbuntuDelta/Karmic

I've never been able to get anyone's "sauce" to combine with an Ingo -rt patch cleanly.

I just usually grab the most recent available clean xsource for which an Ingo patch is available, apply the appropriate Ingo patch, and then copy the Debian stock /boot/config-blahblahblah settings to .config, then I just make oldconfig, taking careful note to enable the RT scheduling and HPET when prompted. Then I just make-kpkg and off I go, i.e.

CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2 make-kpkg --initrd --rootcmd fakeroot --append-to-version=-foobarbaz kernel_image kernel_headers

And, about 30% of the times the kernel will actually work. When it doesn't, it usually requires turning off HPET or some such thing.

-ken