Re: [LAU] Is this the band Sky? Was: Text-based sound visualisation? Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 52, Issue 32

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 24 2011 - 22:59:54 EEST

While I agree that good music (or any art for that matter) should
communicate something, I think that such a discussion, however fun, is
pretty pointless, since it's all subjective. Communication of emotions?
Certainly, but certain forms of virtuosic musical styles can take one on
an intellectual trip so far and out that it rivals any gut-wrenching
experience in terms of intensity. I love highly intellectual music and I
love highly emotional music too, yet some high-flown music is just
inaccessible to me, and some obviously emotional music can sound to me
like useless whining. Talent also doen't have that much to do with it. A
talentless musician with a vision is probably beter off than a
visionless virtuoso (unless he is teamed up with the right people, of
course). Same with auto-tune: I agree that it can sound extremely
egregious in modern pop music, but it can also be used to good effect in
achieving a certain "feel" and I certainly wouldn't discount someone
just because they were using it.

Anyway, this is just a verbose way to say that we could discuss what
constitutes a legitimate fusion of classic and pop all day and all night,
and, most likely, everyone on this list would still have a unique
answer. In the end, isn't it why we choose to make music: because it
wants to be wild, free, and hopefully unique to who we are as
individuals?

Cheers,
S.M.