Re: [LAU] Text-based sound visualisation?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 25 2011 - 00:33:56 EEST

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 03:35:08PM -0400, S. Massy wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 02:32:37PM +0200, Philipp ??berbacher wrote:
>
> > This sounds interesting to me too, but I also have trouble understanding
> > the code. It's clean (no comments whatsoever) C++ code it seems (I
> > had assumed C for some reason). I've no
> > experience with C++ at all, so this might be part of the problem. There
> > seems to be some sort of event system which might drive the different
> > parts, but I really don't know. Guess it would take me quite some time
> > to understand what's there and probably also some time to grasp ncurses
> > or whatever else necessary for a CLI display. But it would be
> > interesting.
> I'm facing more or less the same problems: little C++ experience,
> bewildered by the absence of comments. The X interface also seems to be
> pretty much integrated in the way the programme operates. Maybe it would
> be easier to just keep the DSP and JACK parts and reintegrate them in
> new code? Remember, this is coming from someone who is definitely no
> coding genius. :)

Can we drop back into reality please ?

The Kmeterdsp class is one of the best commented little
pieces of C++ code I've written. There's a comment for
almost every line of code. The comments do make it very
clear how it works. If that isn't sufficient, I suggest
to just leave it alone.

The class doesn't depend on being called by a jack client.
Nor does it depend on any X11 or event delivery framework.

There is one undocumented feature: the 'int n' parameter
for process() should be equal to the 'fsize' parameter to
init(), and it should be a multiple of four. So I should
probably just remove that parameter to process(). Or make
process() independent of the period size.

Even if this condition is not satisfied, the only difference
would be a change in the hold time and fallback rate of the
peak indication, which probably would go unnoticed.

Ciao,

--
FA