Re: [LAU] Text-based sound visualisation?

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 24 2011 - 22:35:08 EEST

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 02:32:37PM +0200, Philipp ??berbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from S. Massy's message of 2011-06-22 20:23:24 +0200:
> > On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:49:58PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 06:37:31PM -0400, S. Massy wrote:
> > >
> > > If you are really limited to a text display, then
> > > something providing simple but useful information
> > > would be a better idea to spend some time on, e.g.
> > > a text output mode for jkmeter or ebumeter (both
> > > would be fairly easy).
> >
> > Jkmeter looks interesting. I rooted around in the source some, but I
> > have not yet found where the interface hooks are. It looks like it could
> > be a fun project.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > S.M.
>
> This sounds interesting to me too, but I also have trouble understanding
> the code. It's clean (no comments whatsoever) C++ code it seems (I
> had assumed C for some reason). I've no
> experience with C++ at all, so this might be part of the problem. There
> seems to be some sort of event system which might drive the different
> parts, but I really don't know. Guess it would take me quite some time
> to understand what's there and probably also some time to grasp ncurses
> or whatever else necessary for a CLI display. But it would be
> interesting.
I'm facing more or less the same problems: little C++ experience,
bewildered by the absence of comments. The X interface also seems to be
pretty much integrated in the way the programme operates. Maybe it would
be easier to just keep the DSP and JACK parts and reintegrate them in
new code? Remember, this is coming from someone who is definitely no
coding genius. :)

Cheers,
S.M.