Re: [LAU] Gnome-shell | Unity

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 26 2011 - 13:03:04 EEST

rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 06/25/2011 06:36 PM, david wrote:
>> rosea grammostola wrote:
>>
>>> So guys, just upgrade Gnome2 to Gnome3? ... Is it true that both
>>> Gnome-shell and Unity needs Pulseaudio?
>>
>> I don't know about that. I know that Gnome3 uses 1GB of memory ...
>
> Wow! Yeah, the points that made us proud of Linux slowly seems to fade
> away... :( These new Desktop developments doesn't seems to be good for
> Linuxaudio users at all...

Hey, I'm the kind of guy who likes Fluxbox, so I'm not necessarily a fan
of these "new" desktop developments.

There's a fork of KDE3, I forget the name, but it's being updated
regularly. If you prefer KDE3's comparative leanness, it's an option.

> Btw do you know what KDE4 uses? One dev told that it would be lighter
> then KDE3 when KDE4 was released.

I don't know how much KDE4 uses. I've heard (from the same online source
that supplied the Gnome3 mem usage figure) that KDE4 comes in at less
than that. How much less, I don't recall.

A friend of mine that used KDE4 for awhile said that he thought it was
using less memory than KDE3. He tried LXDE but had stability issues, so
he's using XFCE. He says that when he does run a KDE4 app, he has a
shell script he runs afterwards that kills 9 KDE4 system services it
started up and left running upon exit. I believe that what makes KDE4
not good for audio is its ton of background system services, each one
doing its thing at intervals and playing hell with low latency setups.
Especially the Akonadi (sp?) service that indexes everything in your
home folder and stores the index results in a disk-hogging SQL database.
The moment you modify a file, the indexing service fires up and
reindexes it. Or something like that.

> My
>> wife's new netbook has Ubuntu 11.04 on it, haven't noticed if it's using
>> PA or not, but sound works.
> Ok, Ubuntu uses Unity. Do you know how Unity compares to Gnome-shell
> when it comes to system resources?

I don't know. It uses Compiz for its visual effects, I don't know what
Gnome-shell uses.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden