Re: [LAU] About Algorithms

From: Charles Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 19 2011 - 06:52:51 EEST

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 17:55:34 -0400
> Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Dale Powell <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> > Agree on the whole that summing is summing is summing. Most DAWs these days
>> > will use floating point (either 32bit or double precision) and A+B=C no
>> > matter what.
>>
>> Isn't all this "A+B=C" stuff (or A*x+B*y=C as one person stated)
>> actually begging the question a bit?  Are we certain that every DAW
>> implements their mixer that way?  Isn't it possible that some might
>> try to model analog mixers to some degree?
>>
>> I'm not arguing either way; I have no clue.
>
> I think you'll find that fundamentally an analogue mixer *is* A+B=C

To the extent that modeling actual analog mixers would be useless.

The amplifiers in analog mixers do have non-flat spectrum (as all
amplifiers have a limited gain-bandwidth product and phase-shift at
high frequencies). However, the equipment is so designed as to have a
nearly constant phase and gain over the range of audio frequencies.

Plus, add noise. Both of which you could do intentionally, instead of
having some software black box that does it without telling you :)