Re: [LAU] wanted: wireless midi controller with at least one fader

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 23 2011 - 15:35:11 EEST

On Friday 22 July 2011, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On 07/22/2011 04:46 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> > On 07/22/2011 05:29 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> >> hi jeremy!
> >>

> >> thanks for your quick reply!

> >> very interesting product, thanks for the hint!
> >> but without a similarly battery-powered control surface, the main
> >> advantage is lost - if i have to deal with a mains cable, i might as
> >> well run a midi line. and even if i found a fader box with batteries, my
> >> client would then have to maintain two battery-powered devices, possibly
> >> with different standby times - i don't think that's feasible, since the
> >> lab where this gadget is going to be installed will be operated by
> >> users, not techies. so if it's going to be wireless, it has to be fully
> >> integrated.
> >
> > Increase the gadget effect: make it an xPhone app.. and just sent the
> > info via OSC. - There's already various tools for Android, iPhone, iPad
> > etc to map on-screen-sliders to OSC commands. The "cheap" option is to
> > get an iPod-touch instead of a phone, but hey your client may already
> > have some touch-screen phone - maybe even some old ones sitting unused
> > on a shelf..
> >
> > Sure they're not physical sliders and certainly not motorized, but
> > wireless. YMMV.
> >
> >> if cables can't be avoided, maybe i can find some schematics for a
> >> simple motorfader midi controller and use a simple cat5 for
> >> bi-directional midi and power... suggestions, anyone?
> >>

> yours truly shameless plug: qmidictl (via qmidinet)
>
> assuming you have the awesome nokia n9x0 handsets (maybe symbian too?
> Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas is working on it ;)
>
> it might not have the finest "touchable" precision you want, but it can
> be improved, ntl ;)

I've finished the symbian port of qmidictl long time ago.
http://midi-clorianos.blogspot.com/2011/04/symbian-ports.html

You will need to download the source code from the SVN repository at SourceForge, because Rui did not release it yet. There is not a symbian binary package published, either. I've sent an unsigned installer to Rui, just in case he wants to publish the application in the Nokia OVI Store himself. I don't mind to publish it under my own account at OVI, but to do so I need some graphics and texts that I've requested to Rui, without receiving an answer yet.

QmidiCtl may be useful for your needs. My problem with it is the small size of the phones' screens, that makes it hard to use the sliders. A possible solution for this problem may be to replace the phone device by a Meego tablet like the wetab or exopc. QmidiCtl runs on these devices like on any other Linux box.

Regards,
Pedro