Re: [LAU] Line array & bit rate check

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 01 2011 - 11:17:40 EEST

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 02:29:21AM +0200, lorenzo cecchi wrote:

> I was wondering if is there any open source program made to controll and
> allign a Line Array system. I know that often Producers make their own
> software, that run on Mac or Windows, but i've never known anything about
> Linux software.

For good reasons. The calculations required to simulate/design
line arrays are not so difficult, but are useless without exact
data about the speakers used (radiation pattern in function of
frequency etc.). Since manufacturers want to keep these data
confidential there's no point in providing the software.

As for controlling, this either requires even more detailed
information if you want to do the processing yourself, or
interfacing to the manufacturers processors which use
proprietary protocols and data formats.

> Another thing i'd like to know is if it does exist a program for Linux that
> could check the effective bit rate and other things like THD, noise level,
> stereo crosstalk,etc.. about my sound card, just like this interesting
> software does: RMAA <http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rmaa.shtml>.

Provided you know how to do such measurements and to interpret
raw results the combination of jaaa and jnoisemeter will do
most of them. For some (e.g. IMD) you may need additional signal
generators, I'm using an 'arbitrary signal generator' controlled
in Python for those.

Note that unless you know what you are doing it's very easy to
get the wrong answers without being aware of it, even more if the
details of the measurement are hidden and results are reduced to
single numbers as seem to be the case for the software you refer
to.

Ciao,

--
FA