Re: [LAU] Line array & bit rate check

From: lorenzo cecchi <cecchilorenzo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 01 2011 - 12:03:25 EEST

2011/8/1 Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>

> On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 02:29:21AM +0200, lorenzo cecchi wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if is there any open source program made to controll and
> > allign a Line Array system. I know that often Producers make their own
> > software, that run on Mac or Windows, but i've never known anything about
> > Linux software.
>
> For good reasons. The calculations required to simulate/design
> line arrays are not so difficult, but are useless without exact
> data about the speakers used (radiation pattern in function of
> frequency etc.). Since manufacturers want to keep these data
> confidential there's no point in providing the software.

A software like that could helps a lot once you'd have the radiation and the
directionaly data of the speakers. In the case you'd reach to have them, it
would be great to use an open source software to set the array!
(I'm looking forward to take part to a d&b audiotechnik line array
workshop<http://www.dbaudio.com/it/education/workshops/line-array-workshop/>but
is required a PC or Mac to run their own program. I think i will ask
the
organizer to give me the program before the event, to try it with wine.)

> As for controlling, this either requires even more detailed
> information if you want to do the processing yourself, or
> interfacing to the manufacturers processors which use
> proprietary protocols and data formats.
>

> > Another thing i'd like to know is if it does exist a program for Linux
> that
> > could check the effective bit rate and other things like THD, noise
> level,
> > stereo crosstalk,etc.. about my sound card, just like this interesting
> > software does: RMAA <http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rmaa.shtml>.
>
> Provided you know how to do such measurements and to interpret
> raw results the combination of jaaa and jnoisemeter will do
> most of them. For some (e.g. IMD) you may need additional signal
> generators, I'm using an 'arbitrary signal generator' controlled
> in Python for those.

Thank's for the clear answers. I didn't know that programs yet, and i'll try
them soon. Hope to hunderstand how to use them to bring out the information
i want about my sound card!

> Note that unless you know what you are doing it's very easy to
> get the wrong answers without being aware of it, even more if the
> details of the measurement are hidden and results are reduced to
> single numbers as seem to be the case for the software you refer
> to.

> Ciao,

Ciao!

Lorenzo