Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 02 2011 - 22:47:56 EEST

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Emanuel Rumpf wrote:

> I wonder: Get a CC licensed song into the (hit) charts or at least
> official radio stations - is that possible ??
>
> Listening to the (german) radio I get the feeling, every Cent I'm
> paying for the radio license
> is wandering to "Bruno Mars" and "Lady Gagga" !?
>
> There is some great music, I don't even know, because
> it's never played nor introduced in the radio.

Since Trent Reznor has already been mentioned, let me tell you a story
I heard from Jon Phillips who worked for Creative Commons Foundation
until few years ago.

They (the foundation) worked quite hard for CC licenses to get
recognition, but somehow they weren't getting as much of it as the
hoped. Shortly after Trent released his first indie album (2007 or so)
Jon had a flight in China, and he was sitting next to some guys from a
rock band. They started chatting, and the guys asked him, what he did
for a job.

- Well, I work for Creative Commons Foundation
- Ah, right. That's the thing that Trent Raznor came up with, eh?
- ???!!!

> How do you find, discover good new (and old) music ?

last.fm :)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org