Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2011 - 12:43:13 EEST

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM, sim a wrote:

> time spent learning a whole new way of working could potentially kill any
> inspiration you have.

I think a lot of people are investing their time into Maschina and
getting ready to ditch discontinued Kontakt this very minute :) It's
because the benefit is quite clear.

Let's decompose that.

1. NI presented a new tool and made sure the news got around.
2. NI marketing team did a good job producing impressive demos that
sent the message of the potential.
3. NI got coverage by mainstream magazines and industry blogs.

Then when the public was ready

4. NI discontinued the old product and focused on the new one.

So what you need, conceptually, is:

1. Impressive looking tool that produces impressive sound.
2. Professional or seriously amateurish videos.
3. Coverage by media.

Let's have a look at that.

1. Impressive looking. Here we have a problem re lack of designers and
usability engineers.
2. Impressive sound. We have people in community who can solve that
(yes, William, I'm talking about your Yoshimi contributions)
3. Videos. The general quality is rather low, but this can be solved
at low/no cost.
4. Media coverage. Peter Kirn and Co.

To sum it up, is it really so bad? Really?

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org