Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2011 - 12:48:19 EEST

> On 3 August 2011 10:10, <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>>> Developers should develop software, end of. A lot of free software is
>>> developed on a voluntary basis, because the developer wants to, not
>>> because they're paid. You have no right to tell these developers it is
>>> their job to go chasing government contracts. Such activities are much
>>> better suited to people with big strong forceful opinionated
>>> personalities such as yourself.
>>

>> And then people like you get to reap the rewards when money is invested
>> into <you favorite software> ...  There are lots of angles to cover to
>> progress the platform/ecosystem.  There are plenty round here who spend
>> substantial amount of their time working to get contracts so they can
>> invest time and money into developing tools further.
>
> People like me? Reaping the rewards? Mate, I work in a fucking factory
> for just above the minimum wage. I get home every day and spend a
> considerable portion of my free time using my favourite software. Free
> software which mainly consists of a text editor, GCC, JACK, and an
> Xterm. Sure, I forked it the project, it's not a professional audio
> app, and it's a little bit broken at present, but that's what happens
> when people like me get hold of free software. YOU CAN'T CONTROL US.

So either you have a personal reason for not contributing to the
advancement of the platform by keeping your work to yourself or you are
politically not interested in seeing the userbase increase?

Would you like to have some more options for increasing your income?

There's money to be made in software development and increasing the user
base of the Linux Audio community is a genuine way to have fun while
earning money.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd