Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2011 - 20:24:13 EEST

On Wednesday 03 August 2011 06:16, sim a wrote:
> funnily enough the one linux music making package i think that fulfills
> the all-in-one program criteria is probably the one least mentioned and
> least liked by the linux audio community, LMMS. i reckon you could get
> quite a few people used to using windows music programs and they would
> get on with LMMS.

Absolutely, it's the closest I've come to my (10 years ago) Windows
workflow, though I've still had to pull the rendered output into Audacity
to overdub vocals and acoustic instruments and mix it all down, just like I
had to pull it all into Cool Edit on Windows.

I assume the reason LMMS the black sheep of the Linux audio scene is
because of its history of glitchy JACK support. Not wanting to do anything
in real time that I don't have to, that's not a problem for me personally.
The last thing I want to do is have a program complain about xruns (or
worse, generate dropouts in my audio) because I chained more effects than
my small, energy-efficient computer could handle in real time. For me, the
"everything in real time" JACK way of doing things is limiting, not
liberating.

That leads us to the other big issue: probably most of us who are
comfortable with LMMS were raised on MIDI sequencers and non-real-time
effects and soft synths, not mixing boards and effects buses like the
typical Linux musician seems to be. Overdubbing vocals and guitars onto a
bunch of rendered synthesized tracks is one thing, recording a bunch of
guys with drums and guitars from scratch is another thing entirely.

Rob