Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2011 - 21:14:30 EEST

Rob wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 August 2011 06:16, sim a wrote:
>
>> funnily enough the one linux music making package i think that fulfills
>> the all-in-one program criteria is probably the one least mentioned and
>> least liked by the linux audio community, LMMS. i reckon you could get
>> quite a few people used to using windows music programs and they would
>> get on with LMMS.

> I assume the reason LMMS the black sheep of the Linux audio scene is
> because of its history of glitchy JACK support. Not wanting to do anything
> in real time that I don't have to, that's not a problem for me personally.
> The last thing I want to do is have a program complain about xruns (or
> worse, generate dropouts in my audio) because I chained more effects than
> my small, energy-efficient computer could handle in real time. For me, the
> "everything in real time" JACK way of doing things is limiting, not
> liberating.

LMMS is neither the "least-liked" nor a "black sheep" here. There's a
lot to like about the program, and it has a significant number of Linux
users.

Btw, IMO Louigi Verona's music ought to be promoted to the front of the
advertising for LMMS. His stuff did the most to convince me of the
program's capabilities, and it remains the best music made with LMMS
that I've heard yet.

And yes, without JACK support it doesn't fit in with my workflow but
that's only an issue for me. Obviously plenty of other users are quite
happy without JACK support. I don't believe that JACK is absolutely
necessary for all components in the Linux audio software armory, just in
mine. ;)

Best,

dp