Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2011 - 05:41:10 EEST

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 2:25 AM, David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> My 2 cents:
>
> I use software that does the job. OpenSource is not necessarly free, just
> means one can get the sources and compile it, twiddle the code, if one so
> chooses. Not all musicians can or want to bother with this. One thing is
> that
> opensource authors are much more accessible and listen to suggestions. This
> has made nted into quite an effective scoring package. Put down top bucks
> for
> Sibelius, great program but you buy the package, that's it.

I guess I can say that nted has changed my life quite significantly.
I have been a hobbyist pianist and professionally a teacher of computer
science/programing. Suddenly I am a teacher of singing mostly teaching
people who never imagined they could read staff notation. (Heres an example:
http://vimeo.com/16894001/ of how it works)

So much for the good side.

But of late nted keeps crashing/erroring. My recent questions on the nted
list have gone unanswered. Am I grumbling? Well not really. Joerg Anders
has done a superb job of making nted and like all he must have a life
outside that also. But realistically I would like to know whether
development has died and it would be best for me to cut my losses (about a
hundred hours spent typing in scores) and move to something else.

On a related note because my ubuntu laptop runs nted it cannot run
pulseaudio. Because it cannot run pulseaudio no other audio works.
If we are talking of the state of linux audio maybe a small mention of the
pulseaudio saga would not be out of place?

I could go on but this is a long enough rant :-)

My main point is that this discussion seems to separate politics/sociology
from technical issues. The reality is in-between: I am able to do things
thanks to linux and free software that I could/would not otherwise have
imagined. But things are very far from 'just working'.
Others may not have such a high 'needs-tweaking' threshold.

Rusi