Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2011 - 00:28:07 EEST

Am 03.08.2011 22:32, schrieb Renato:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 15:50:44 -0400
> Rob<lau@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>>> you don't have to do everything with low latency settings. AFAIK
>>
>> By "real time", I meant "all the effects are running simultaneously
>> in parallel and what you hear is what you get", not "real-time
>> computing".
>>

> ah, ok... but does that depend on jack settings (period and buffer) or
> only on CPU? asking cause I don't know

You can set up Jack to guarantee a maximum roundtrip delay of say: 4
milliseconds. As Jack runs with such settings, all applications in the
session have to keep delivering the desired data fast enough to keep
that deadline.

CPU and company have to process the data so you will find out soon
enough, if their powers suffice to provide the needed data within the
limits, you have set up for Jack....

So if you have just one sampler playing preprocessed data without any
filtering etc, you can set up Jack with very small buffers to get very
little delay between pressing a key on a MIDI-Keyboard and hearing the
played sound. Even on a lesser machine.
If you play with a complete band using Hydrogen for the drums, AMS and
CALF and Yoshimi as Synths and guitarix and Rakarrack for the guitars.
Recording all this seperately in Ardour while some 30 tracks previously
recorded are being heared too, you need much more CPU-Power to keep the
fun alive if Jack has to run with buffers for 4ms delay....

best regards
HZN