Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2011 - 23:59:49 EEST

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 01:36:05PM +0900, michael noble wrote:
[...]
> musically equivalent in functionality or capability to commercial
> solutions, then the only advantages they offer are political or
> economic ones. Established artists probably don't have the need to
> save pennies on their tools, so that really only leaves politics. How
All correct, but you left out one of the most important advantages of
FOSS over proprietary software: flexibility. In a community like ours,
people are encouraged to modify software, come up with solutions to
certain problems, experiment and share (csound, pd, sc, chuck, etc.),
and make requests and suggestions to developpers. Personally, I see this
as an enormous benefit. Of course, you would be right to point out that
famous artists probably have the clout and/or cash to pass on requests
and ask for help from, say, Native Instruments, but, nevertheless, I
think the FOSS way might hold genuine apeal for some of the more
inquisitive, forward-thinking artists.

Cheers,
S.M.