Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2011 - 07:36:05 EEST

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 6:45 AM,  pshirkey wrote:
>
>> This is the kind of feedback that we can only get when companies make the
>> effort to use Linux tools as part of a solution.
>>
>> Chicken vs egg.
>
> I still believe (what a naive person am I) that it's possible to come
> up with reasonable business models around FOSS (fingers crossed for
> MuseScore folks), but IMO part of the job is gettings contacts with
> companies who do contracts with governments, and generally staying
> tuned to what's happening around. That means quitting the dangerous
> "I'm just a programmer" attitude. Monotechnics is hardly an excuse.

Where do commercial Linux-based products like the Muse Receptor or
Korg Oasys fit in with this? They certainly count "famous artists"
among their user base, but I suspect that many people don't count
these products as advocating the FOSS model. This really brings up the
point of what your intentions are.

If you are advocating that Linux can be a robust and productive
platform, then products such as these should be your first example. If
you are trying to advocate only for FOSS as a viable replacement to
commercial solutions, then in many ways you are simply advocating
politics. Professionals seem to want to use tools that work, and are
not so concerned with political or ethical "baggage" that might
accompany their decisions. Ultimately, famous artists are usually
famous not because they use certain tools, but because they make music
that appeals to a broader base. Those that actively promote certain
products are either paid to do so, or are happy to do so because they
enjoy using the product. Given that, at best, Linux audio tools are
musically equivalent in functionality or capability to commercial
solutions, then the only advantages they offer are political or
economic ones. Established artists probably don't have the need to
save pennies on their tools, so that really only leaves politics. How
many carpenters do you know that will buy a new brand eco-friendly
hammer over a functionally equivalent one from a well known brand that
uses rainforest timber for the handle? My point being, if you are
trying to convert people to use a certain tool because it is
"politically" better, then you are probably fighting a losing battle,
or at least one that has little do with music or audio production.

Personally, I do believe that people should embrace the FOSS model,
but I've given up trying to evangelize in any way other than sharing
my enjoyment of using the tools. If people see that and get inspired
by it to try some of the tools that others have so graciously provided
for free, then that's great. But I'm not famous, so that doesn't count
for much!

-Michael