Re: [LAU] Aptosid & Debian music distributions => AVLinux recommended

From: hermann <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2011 - 06:42:44 EEST

Am Samstag, den 06.08.2011, 10:51 +0800 schrieb Simon Wise:
> On 06/08/11 02:18, hermann wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 05.08.2011, 06:51 -1000 schrieb david:
> >> Aptosid has all of that, too, including the 3.0 RT kernel.
> >
> > Again, that is not true, you can install a rt-kernel to aptosid simply
> > with apt-get, but AFAIK it isn't a aptosid kernel (a big diff in the
> > applied patchs). It is a debian kernel with the debian patch set
> > applied.
>
> But that IS aptosid ... it is not a distribution in the sense that AVLinux is,
> it is a way to install debian sid.

There is a big diff between a debian kernel and a aptosid kernel, it is
wide more then the rt-patch, eg. supported hardware,....
When you install a debian kernel on aptosid, you didn't get any support
from the aptosid supporter team.
So again, it isn't aptosid.

> They do three very useful things for someone who wants to use debian sid on
> their system ..

It's all up to you, I'm switch from aptosid to plain debian/sid and can
tell you, there is a big part witch is simply a myth.

> 1/ They package a live install disk with, in my experience at least, an install
> system that seems to deal with a wide range of new hardware very well.
>
> 2/ They build a custom kernel and maintain a set of bugfixes and an update
> warning system to achieve 1/ and try to ensure that apt-get dist-upgrade can be
> done safely to keep the installation up-to-date, using either their kernel or a
> current or fairly recent debian one.
Wrong, see above

> 3/ They maintain a good manual and website so that 1/ and 2/ are useful to the user.
>

> How you configure sid after that is up to you.

Again, your post suggest there is a interest by the aptosid dev's for
Pro Audio user, that isn't the case. It is a plain debian/sid desctop
based distro and they wouldn't do anything, if a Pro Audio app in debian
sid will broken. As long all in debian sid work, it work also in
aptosid. But it is also the case in the other direction.

> AVlinux does something else entirely, they configure and maintain a debian based
> system geared towards multimedia, staying quite close to a standard debian
> system (so it remains very flexible).
>
> That is another big job done for the audio user, and by most reports they do it
> well.

It's not a other big job done for pro audio user, it is done for audio
user. That isn't the case with aptosid, and you will get that when the
time comes and a du bite you. I have run sidux/aptosid over 6 years and
use now plain debian sid. You will never get more support for Pro Audio
in aptosid then in plain debia sid.
If you like to use a rolling release with a wider range of support for
pro audio, then ARCH comes in mind. They do indeed greet work for pro
audio user.