Re: [LAU] Akai APC controllers - Experiences?

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 21 2011 - 19:48:18 EEST

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:11:27 +0100
Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > I'm curious, how do you plan to use such a device in a linux audio
> > environment? What will you map the buttons and faders to?
> >

> There's quite a range of options for working with a controller of
> that type. None of the solutions are perfect, and all require some
> adapting of the workflow to the tools. Eg: SooperLooper & JackRack
> can do quite some damage, as can a combo of Seq24 (with clip launch
> buttons) and some softsynths running Ardour busses for automateable
> effects..

yep, that sounds like it could work well. Keep us up to what you manage
to do :)

>Also I'm working on coding a live looping tool myself for a
> while now... :)

do you plan to release anything?

> Although I quite like the midiFighter, its price is astronomical for
> 16 buttons. Ya could build it using an Arduino and some parts for 1/2
> the price.

yeah, I said it was cheaper before looking, because I thought "it's
only some buttons, it's gonna be cheap"... but 170$ isn't cheap. Even
cheaper/easier than the Arduino would be rewiring a joystick/joypad
(though you'd need something on the software side to make midi).

cheers,
renato