Re: [LAU] Akai APC controllers - Experiences?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 21 2011 - 18:48:58 EEST

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 04:26:20PM +0100, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>
> > Meanwhile I've written a C++ Python extension that connects to it using
> > libusb (bypassing ALSA), and that also hides the MIDI details and provides
> > access in terms of x,y, color, and up/down events directly. Works like a
> > charm.
> >

> Ah intresting... I'll see what I end up getting my hands on :)

I found only one minor problem with the LP: it transmits MIDI
using running status, the top row uses a controller while the
rest uses note on/off. Even after a soft reset the LP will not
tranmit the status byte until it changes. So when using the
ALSA interface you don't get any events until the status
changes for the first time. From then on all is OK.

Actually there are only two buttons of the 80 which have the
same data except status. The interface I wrote exploits this
and will find the missing status byte except for those two
buttons.

--
FA