Re: [LAU] ubuntu vs arch

From: Atte André Jensen <atte@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 23 2011 - 02:42:00 EEST

On 09/20/2011 10:20 AM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 09/20/2011 10:15 AM, Atte André Jensen wrote:
>> No I didn't, will try that. He *is* using a usb keyboard and usb mouse.
>
>> How should I use this information to locate problems with the soundcard
>> like on my friends box?
>
> If the USB keyboard and/or mouse are on the same bus as the soundcard
> x-runs might occur whenever you move the mouse or type something (just
> guessing here though). You might want to try to put the UA-25EX on a
> different bus than the USB keyboard and mouse. In your case the sound
> device sits on its own on bus 004, maybe the situation is different in
> your friend's case.

Ok, been to his place tonight go dig deeper. We tried everything, and
eventually ended up with 4ms latency + ardour without xruns. For some
reason (maybe 64 bit ubuntu/natty) renoise didn't behave that well,
which threw me off, since it runs perfectly here.

What also confused me was that although PAM (limits.conf) seemed to be
configured correctly, renoise with realtime alsa kept on throwing the
"not able to use realtime threads" warning on startup. This never
happened to me before, for me it's always been a sure sign that
limits.conf was not configured correctly. Strange...

Anyways, he's gonna use ardour, so although puzzled I decided to leave
the renoise strangeness alone.

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk