Re: [LAU] NoiseMaker LV2 port

From: allcoms <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2011 - 15:47:30 EEST

Hi Leigh!

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 13/10/11 10:25 PM, allcoms wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <autostatic@email-addr-hidden
>> <mailto:autostatic@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>> The guy(s) @ Distrho is/are working on an LV2 wrapper thingy. But
>> that's something else than a port of course. Well, just FYI ;)
>>

>> Hmm! falktx didn't mention this to me. I'm not sure how well this would
>> work and I think a proper LV2 port would still be for the best.
>>

> From what I understand, it is a proper port -- falktx is adding LV2 support
> to the JUCE framework that the TAL plugins (and many other cross-platform
> VSTs) use, which should make it possible for them to be built as LV2
> plugins.
>
> I'm not exactly sure how the licencing works in all of that, but I do hope
> that it means that some of these ported plugins can go in to distros; that's
> definitely one of the biggest downside to native VSTs.
>

>> Before anyone pipes up - linuxsampler is NOT an option. LS and I
>> have never
>> seen eye to eye nor have I ever got it working properly anyway.
>> Its just a
>> complicated mess that won't load a simple wav.
>>
>> Wish me luck!
>>

>> I will, I'd really like a good working simple sampler plug-in too.
>>

> Agreed -- something like a plugin version of Specimen (or Petri-Foo) would
> be very handy. FWIW, though, I've had great success with LinuxSampler as an
> LV2 plugin within Ardour 3, mostly with SFZ samples. I haven't actually made
> any of my own SFZ instruments yet, but it's a simple text-based format so it
> doesn't require any specific tools to work with.
>
> I wrote a (lengthy) article all about LinuxSampler a little while ago --
> hopefully it can help to clear up some of the confusion about it:
>
> http://wootangent.net/2011/07/**everything-you-always-wanted-**
> to-know-about-linuxsampler/<http://wootangent.net/2011/07/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-linuxsampler/>
>
> Thanks
> Leigh

Thanks for pointing out your guide Leigh - I'd not seen that. I think I'll
have to have another go with LS to triple check it still irritates the hell
out of me for at least the following reasons:

1 - Its not in the repos of most distros due to licensing probs

2 - Its a bitch to compile

3 - I never got qsampler to work

4 - Fantasia is a horribly slow, bloated java app - yuck!

5 - Like composite, iirc, it also lacks the ability to load simple wavs if
thats all you want otherwise you need to mess about converting stuff to .gig
or .sfz first

Linuxsampler would be good for some use cases if points 1 and 2 didn't
plague it but we still need a simple LV2 sampler that can be easily
redistributed and packaged for people who just want to trigger wav drum
sounds or whatever.