Re: [LAU] NoiseMaker LV2 port

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2011 - 14:57:05 EEST

On 13/10/11 10:25 PM, allcoms wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <autostatic@email-addr-hidden
> <mailto:autostatic@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
> The guy(s) @ Distrho is/are working on an LV2 wrapper thingy. But
> that's something else than a port of course. Well, just FYI ;)
>

> Hmm! falktx didn't mention this to me. I'm not sure how well this would
> work and I think a proper LV2 port would still be for the best.

 From what I understand, it is a proper port -- falktx is adding LV2
support to the JUCE framework that the TAL plugins (and many other
cross-platform VSTs) use, which should make it possible for them to be
built as LV2 plugins.

I'm not exactly sure how the licencing works in all of that, but I do
hope that it means that some of these ported plugins can go in to
distros; that's definitely one of the biggest downside to native VSTs.

> Before anyone pipes up - linuxsampler is NOT an option. LS and I
> have never
> seen eye to eye nor have I ever got it working properly anyway.
> Its just a
> complicated mess that won't load a simple wav.
>
> Wish me luck!
>

> I will, I'd really like a good working simple sampler plug-in too.

Agreed -- something like a plugin version of Specimen (or Petri-Foo)
would be very handy. FWIW, though, I've had great success with
LinuxSampler as an LV2 plugin within Ardour 3, mostly with SFZ samples.
I haven't actually made any of my own SFZ instruments yet, but it's a
simple text-based format so it doesn't require any specific tools to
work with.

I wrote a (lengthy) article all about LinuxSampler a little while ago --
hopefully it can help to clear up some of the confusion about it:

http://wootangent.net/2011/07/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-linuxsampler/

Thanks
Leigh