Re: [LAU] Linuxsampler/qsampler usability and session portability

From: Dan MacDonald <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 14 2011 - 18:45:41 EEST

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 10/14/2011 12:40 PM, Dan MacDonald wrote:
>
>> I addressed the list yesterday regarding my dissatisfaction wrt the
>> current state of soft samplers under Linux. Since then I have checked
>> out the latest svn versions of Linuxsampler and qsampler just to make
>> sure nothing had dramatically changed since I last tried them. I'd much
>> rather we fix up LS and qsampler to be usable in all cases rather than
>> anyone, such as myself, go starting a whole new project. I was thinking
>> about posting this to the LS mailing list (if there is one) but the
>> problems I've encountered today involves a wider range of Linux audio
>> projects than just LS (such as LV2 and Ardour) so I thought it best to
>> discuss these issues here.
>>
>> I have two goals I'd like to see achieved:
>>
>> 1 - You should be able to import wavs into qsampler and create/use
>> simple .sfz files without opening/editing/manually creating any text
>> (.sfz) files. This should be easily achieved by adding a new menu option
>> to qsampler called something like 'Import audio files' or 'Create sfz'.
>> In most cases you just need to specify the soundfile and the note or
>> range that will trigger it. Comments Rui?
>>

> in case you didn't notice, qsampler is a _front-end_ to linuxsampler. that
> definition also applies to the other cases, like jsampler (aka. fantasia)
> and gsampler.
>
> the actual sampler engine is linuxsampler which also acts like a server to
> any of its front-ends (clients) via lscp (linuxsampler control protocol) a
> simple line text protocol over plain tcp/ip.
>
> linuxsampler front-ends like qsampler only "talks" lscp, they don't know
> nothing about jack, midi nor sound-files, whatsoever. it is linuxsampler
> that does all the dirty work, even if its being redirected via its plugin
> interface.
>
> however, linuxsampler as an engine does not provide any interface to edit
> sample files be that .gig or .sfz . you edit those files through an
> appropriate stand-alone application (eg. gigedit) and then tell linuxsampler
> to load the product into its engine. that's it.

Yes, I know what a front end and what LS does and I really don't think my
request/suggestion was out of place. Far as I know gigedit just does that -
edits gig files and has nothing to do with sfz. You need to realise I wasn't
requesting anything like a full gigedit clone but for sfz, all I wanted was
a most basic sfz creation feature that would simply let you pick files,
assign them to notes or ranges and create a matching .sfz - thats all!

> you can now guess the answer is no ;)

Yep! Well at least I tried.

Mr Prokoudine:

Ah! I didn't know about gsampler- thanks for highlighting that. It compiles
but I'm not sure it actually works yet. I think I may get in touch with its
author and see if he is willing to integrate a very simple sfz creation
function into his app.

Mr Dyer:

Thanks for your example of a simple sfz but that doesn't work for me under
either qsampler or fantasia, specifying the full path to the sample or not,
putting all the commands on one line or separate lines like you did- I just
cannot get my basic sfz to load. I'm running very latest svn versions of all
the LS apps btw.

Everybody:

Paul says that we can store samples in a random subdir of an A3 session and
I have successfully got LS to load and play soundfonts but it looks like A3
has trouble loading such a session without moving anything atm so I've not
been able to test what happens when I move the session just yet.