Re: [LAU] integrating linux+osx boxes?

From: Dan MacDonald <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 17 2011 - 13:57:38 EEST

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Dan MacDonald <allcoms@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Will we:
> > * Be able to use VST(i)s under Ardour 3 OSX? If it doesn't make 3.0 I'm
> sure
> > public outcry will make it inevitable for 3.1! ;)
>
> No. I am not aware of any notable plugins for OS X that are available
> only in VST format, or rather, *not* available in AU format. Apple
> ensured by that their own exclusion of VST support from some notable
> programs of their own. A few independent plugin developers rely on
> users using VST<->AU bridges (such as those made by FXpansion), and we
> would basically be doing the same thing, but as a host.

Are you saying A3 will have a AU<->VST bridge? If so, will we be able to
transfer sessions between lxvst plugins under A3 Linux and the same plugins
as AU's under A3 OSX? I didn't think this would be possible but if it you
say this will work between LV2 and AU plugins (as with Linuxsampler) then I
suppose it could also work for going between AU and lxvst, no? In the
specific case of NoiseMaker it makes more sense to side with AU as TAL offer
32 and 64-bit packages for AU but only 32bit for OSX VST.

> > * Least unlikely I know but would there be any chance I could save a
> project
> > using Linuxsampler as a LV2 under A3 Linux then load the same project
> using
> > the AU version of Linuxsampler under OSX?
>
> yes. absolutely no reason why this would not work.

That is good news! I was expecting I'd have to compile Linuxsampler as an
LV2 under OSX just for A3.